Online Poker Tells are not easy to spot since you cannot see your opponents like live play. When dealing with average players there are some obvious tells as to what they are holding though. Here are a few easy to remember betting patterns that become online poker tells so obvious you will wonder how you ever missed them before.
- Reraising all in preflop after someone makes a typical size raise.
This is usually a sign of strength combined with weakness. A hand like AK, AQ or JJ are strong hands but vulnerable to an unfavorable flop, which is their weakness. And this type of bet is typical of such a hand.
- A player reraising an amount preflop that would pot commit them.
For example if everyone has 1500 chips, blinds 25/50. I raise to 225 with QQ and someone reraises to 600. More than likely this player has a true monster like AA or KK.
- Raising and reraising back and forth postflop (no limit only).
You can be assured this player holds a very big hand like a set or better. For example everyone has 1500 and 4 players see the flop, pot 200. There is a bet of 150, raise to 300, reraise to 450 and again to 600.
- Taking an exaggerated amount of time to act then reraising a large amount.
Typically a player doing this has a hand of serious strength and is trying to act weak by taking this long to decide, most typically on the river. As with any case it is not 100% but should at minimum be a warning sign.
- Someone in the blinds takes longer than normal to check the flop in an unraised pot.
This player typically has a decent draw or marginal hand like middle pair. They are taking extra time to check either because they are unsure how to continue, to discourage someone from betting, or both.
You can preview the following books for your use. I especially recommend Mike Caro's Book found below.
Online Poker Tells Caution!
- Caution when using online poker tells you must take into account the possibility that a someone may be playing multiple tables. Therefore taking a long time because they are involved in another hand. Or going all in because they have just taken a bad beat at another table and on tilt. Or if they are like me they may have hit the wrong button.
- Typically when you see that someone is acting they have the opposite of whatever they are trying to make you think they have. In other words if someone is acting scared be careful. They have a good poker hand. It is very hard of course to spot an actor online unlike in a live game. There chat may be a giveaway and so may yours so be careful when chatting anytime at the table.
- All Poker games are people games. Being able to read opponents is one of the funnest parts of the game. Try to balance in these possibilities when trying to spot someones tell. Sometimes it is so obvious that a person is bluffing or has a good hand. It's a thrill to be able to pick up on a poker tells or betting pattern. Be careful though! They could be acting & trying to fool you.
Online Poker Strategy
No Limit Strategy
Secrets to Success from poker tells
Complete List of all Options