If your new to the game learning Texas Holdem Basic Rules is a smart way to start. The rules are easy to follow. And allow you to use many different tactics to win. Rules to Texas Holdem vary from game to game. But all use same basic rules which are covered here. More specific rules and variations can be found here.
Let's look at at one round of holdem and how many cards can be used to make a hand. All holdem games are played with each player receiving two cards that are combined with 5 community cards to form the best 5 card hand. Actions like dealing and betting are always in a clockwise movement.
1) A hand starts with one player receiving the dealer button. A round disk that is moved clockwise around the table after each hand.
2) Before any cards are dealt in a round of texas holdem blinds are placed. Which are forced bets made by the two players directly to the left of the dealer button. Starting with the small blind which is typically one half the size of the big blind.
3) Each player now receives two cards which are dealt face down also called hole cards. These will be eventually combined with five cards that all players can use to form the highest ranking five card hand combination.
4) Now there is a round of betting starting with the player directly left of the big blind and ending with the player in the big blind. During any round of betting a player may bet, raise, check or fold.
Everyone has 2 cards. And only they can use and know what they are! They are the secret cards called hole cards. = 2 total
5) Next three cards are laid face up on the table which may be use by all players that have not folded. These community cards are called the flop.
6) A second round of betting takes place this time starting with the player in the small blind and ending with the player that has the button. This will be the order for all remaining betting rounds.
Now everyone who hasn't folded still has 2 secret cards. Plus 3 more that anybody still in the hand can combine with their originals. =5 total
7) This time only one card is laid face up as a community card known as the turn.
8) A third round of betting takes place.
Now everyone who hasn't folded still has 2 secret cards. Plus 4 more that anybody still in the hand can combine with their originals in any combination possible. =6 total.
9) The last of the five community cards is laid face up. Also known as the river.
10) A final round of betting takes place and once complete.
11) Players will show their hands in the same order to determine who has the
best five card hand which is called the showdown.
12) And finally the hand will be finished when all bets placed during the hand also called the pot are given to the winner. In the case of a tie the pot will be equally divided amongst the winning players.
Now everyone who hasn't folded still has 2 secret cards. Plus 5 more that anybody still in the hand can combine with their originals in any combination possible. =7 total.
Note that you do not have to use your secret cards if the best hand is using the community cards. You may use 2, 1 or none of your hole cards. For example:
Best hand I can make is a straight 6-7-8-9-10.
I am not able to use the aces for anything. And anyone else also has minimum the same hand as long as he or she is able to figure it out and show it. You must show your hole cards to win even if you don't use them. And you cannot remind them. That's one of the Texas Holdem Basic Rules is one player per hand.
Of course someone with a Jack would have a better straight 7-8-9-10-J & QJ beats him 8-9-10-J-Q.
MoreTexas Holdem Basic Rules can be found below